Sunday, January 31, 2016

Possible Storybook Topics

Possible Topic: Aesop's Lions
I have already done one story about a lion from Aesop and I really enjoyed the format I used. I created a series of fake Facebook posts and I think it would be really interesting to do an entire Facebook feed of different lions from Aesop's tales. I read some lion tales during the weekly reading, but I would be really curious to look up more tales. I think lions make for interesting characters with their mix of royalty and cleverness. I would like to discover how I could make the lions interact together on the fake Facebook (or Manebook).
Research So Far: I read the Jacobs version of the Aesop's tales for week two which gave me an initial look into the stories about various animals of which I liked the lion the most. I also found after some research a website of Aesop's fables that you can search to find just the ones with lions in them. Not all of the fables there are Aesop's, but a vast majority of the 100 listed are which leaves plenty to choose from.

Possible Topic: Japanese Spirits
I am really interested in the hundreds of different spirits in Japanese cultures. I am a quarter Japanese and I would love the chance to learn more about the culture. This could be formatted either like a fake Facebook group again or I could do something different like how the spirits came to be or news reports of spirit sightings. Just preliminary ideas.
Research So Far: I looked through the Japanese readings for class to get an idea of what is available there. I also found this Wikipedia page which has an enormous list of different spirits from Japan. There are links for every one to pages about that specific spirit. There is plenty here to find stories to work with from.

Possible Topic: Dragons in Theology
In fantasy literature dragons are by far my favorite creature to read about. I find it really interesting that many religions have stories that include dragons. I want to look into these religions' dragon stories and find a way to compile these stories. I am not sure what format I would use, but I am very interested in learning more about these dragons.
Research So Far: I saw two readings in the class about dragons, one of St. George and another of Bel and the Dragon. I also know that many eastern religions have dragons in their theology as do ancient Roman and Greek religions. I look forward to finding out more about these.

Possible Topic: Ancient Warriors
I came up with this topic because I thought it would be really fun to have ancient warriors interact and share their stories by comparing battle wounds. I like that this topic can take warriors from all over the world and give the commonality of battle wound stories.
Research So Far: The Heros and Heroines page, historical legends page, and pirates and sailors page all have great options for warriors with wounds to pick from.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize that dragons were such a huge deal in story telling. It kind of makes me think of the TV show Game of Thrones, and the dragons in that show were awesome. I think that would be a interesting topic to read about and you sound like the right person to do it!

    ReplyDelete