Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary, continued: Aesop's Fables

Here are some of my favorite stories from part B of the Aesop's Fables (Jacobs) reading.

Birds, Part 1: I really loved the story of The Crow and the Pitcher. It reminds me of the story I heard about a donkey that fell in a well and was being buried alive by dirt tossed into it. Instead of sitting around to be buried, the donkey stepped on top of the pile of dirt every time it came down and eventually got high enough to jump out of the well. Maybe these two stories could be combined somehow.

Birds, Part 2: On this page The Swallow and the Other Birds made me think of the Sower parable in the Bible. In the parable a farmer scatters seed and the seeds land on various different places and therefore has various different fates. One of the places the seed lands is on the path where it is snatched up by the birds. Other seeds, however, are not snatched up and some of the plants grow strong. It may be interesting to mix these two stories together.\

Insects, Snakes, Crabs: I feel like the characters in The Two Crabs could make for some great snippy dialogue in a storytelling session. There seems enough bite and yet also love in their words that it could make for a fun story to write.

Frogs and Fish: By far my favorite from this page is the story of The Frog and the Ox. Though the outcome of this story is easily predicted the ending is still satisfying. I could feel myself thinking "oh no, don't do it!" as the frog puffed up bigger and bigger. This kind of predictable suspense could be useful in my writing.


Nature and Inanimate Objects: I liked the moral behind The Belly and The Members. Showing that everyone has it's part and the importance of cooperation is great for a fable to do.

Humans and Gods: From this section I liked The Old Man and Death. I am not particularly sure why it caught my attention, but I intend to come back and read this story again later on to see if I can figure that out.

Family and Friends: On this page I liked The Two Fellows and The Bear. It reminded me of when people say "you don't have to outrun the bear, just your slowest friend" or something along those lines.

People Wise and Foolish, Part 1: I liked the anti-climactic ending of The Mountains in Labour. Sometimes I get stuck in the thought that any story I write needs some big outcome to be good, but this story reminds me that this is not always true.

People Wise and Foolish, Part 2: I enjoyed The Milkmaid and Her Pail because I never did know the origin of the phrase "don't count your chickens before they've hatched." I feel like this story could easily be expanded to include Polly Shaw and other characters from daily marketplace life.

More Fables (Not in Jacobs): I liked this entire page in general because it is so impressive how rich a story you can get from just a short poem. I also really enjoyed how snarky the stories were at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment