Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Reading Diary Week 14: Brother's Grimm Librivox

These are my thoughts on the stories in the first half of the Brother's Grimm Librivox unit. These stories come from Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm which is from project Gutenberg.

The Frog Prince: This story was actually not that dark for a Brother's Grimm story. It was close to the story I know of this title. Overall, I enjoyed it, though the ending is a little too perfect.

Rapunzel: I had not realized until now just how much of the plot of Into The Woods came from the Grimm's Rapunzel story. I realized Rapunzel and her prince were in it, but I did not realize how well the baker and his wife's story also fit in. It was fun to read this and compare the similarities and differences.

The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean: I do not think I had ever heard this story before. It was equal parts adorable and morbid which is an odd combination but somehow that worked well. I enjoyed it.

The Mouse, the Bird, and the Sausage: The idea of this random collection of creatures and sausage living together greatly amused me. The story overall was quite morbid but in an ironic and therefore digestible way.

The Travelling musicians: I liked that all of the characters in this story were not in their prime but still managed to make a good end of life for themselves (albeit at the expense of the robbers).

Clever Elsie: This was an odd story. I did not really understand it and did not particularly like it. Overall definitely not my favorite.

Briar Rose: This is a story I know many versions of rather well, including this one. It was nice to refresh my knowledge of the story though as it is one that I always enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment